These 4 Must Have Soccer Turns are what you need to beat any defender. As a player, you should be training these on a weekly basis so that you can create space from your defender and then turn them to go upfield to create scoring and possession opportunities.
The set-up on this training is pretty simple and you can use it for a team warm-up or training with a friend or family member in your own backyard.
a) For individual training, Set a single cone, then place a 5×5/4×5/ or 3×5 square about 8-10 yards away. For team training, set another cone 8-10 yards on the other side.
4 MUST Have Soccer Turns Coaching Points
1. Players start back to back or in center of grid if training alone.
2. Always begin with a quick burst of 2-3 yards to check in to serving partner. Bursting through the 2 cones, pretend those are the defender and you have to get outside the margins of their reach (cones).
3. You want to sell your fake as if you are going one way, only to go another. Ie-Fake right to go left.
4. Clip/misdirect the ball into space around the cones.
5. Have a quick change of pace/acceleration to get on the ball, then play into opposite partner.
6. Rinse and Repeat.
A.) Perform 1 Minute using the Outside of the Right Foot.
B.) Perform 1 Minute using the outside of the left foot.
C.) Perform 1 Minute using the Inside of the Right Foot.
D.) Perform 1 Minute using the Inside of the left foot.
This should be about 10-15 minute warm-up or individual training. You can make several runs through until you get it right. Remember to always focus on technique and turning rather than quantity. If you can get this right you can turn and beat any defender.
Get out there and train.