There are many soccer drills to improve your first touch. I’ve put together a quick 5 minute video with examples and explanations of 2 drills that will help your first touch become world class. In case you are wondering why you would want to improve your first touch let me give you a few reasons:
- Increased Speed of Play- by having a quality first touch, you can trust where the ball will fall and get your head up to begin playing quicker.
- Ability to receive difficult, long range passes with ease.
- Ball control. The closer the ball is to you the less likely an opponent will take possession.
3 Cone Soccer Drills To Improve your First Touch
1. Set 3 cones up about 1 yard apart from each other in a line.
2. Start on the far right hand side of the cones, and have a friend, teammate, parent or sibling, toss a ball in the air toward your feet. After each touch, move to the space between the next cone and take a little touch back to the person tossing the ball.
3. The Ball should be tossed underhand using both hands so it is soft and well arched so the emphasis is on the receiving players first touch.
4. The receiving player should touch the ball lightly back so it floats in the air back to the thrower’s hands and is easily collectable. Extra points for no spin on the ball, top level players should be able to play a ball with flat spin.
5. Perform 4 right to left combinations (should total 20 touches) before moving onto the next sequence.
6. Once complete, repeat with thigh, chest, and head touches.
7. A quick note on thigh touches, make sure the ball hits the soft part of the middle thigh. Do not lean back, a quick touch forward so you can begin playing right away.
8. On the chest, make sure to collect the ball on the center chest, and just before impact, stick your chest out so to push the ball away from the body so the player can begin to play immediately. If you are having trouble, think of the motion of trying to touch your elbows behind your chest.
9. On head touches, make sure to snap the neck before impact on the ball so you are the one striking the ball, and not vice versa.
Agility Soccer Drills to Improve Your First Touch
1. Using the same 3 cones, drop the center cone back 1 yard to create a “V” Pattern in the workout.
2. Start on the deep center cone, start off going to the right or left, and take a touch with inside of your foot. If you go right use your right foot and if you go left, use your left foot.
3. Concentrate on the back pedal around the cone, make sure your runs look like “V’s” and you don’t get lazy and they start to resemble “U’s”.
4. Perform 10-15 touches with inside of the foot, laces (for advanced players), thighs, chest, and head.
- This is a very simple set of exercises requiring only 3 cones. However, these soccer drills will improve your first touch because they are “functional” in their design to replicate game like movements. The constant mobility adds a secondary fitness and agility component, although primarily training your first touch. If you find yourself struggling, meaning the ball is getting away from you, bouncing off your shinguard, can’t consistently hit the ball back to the throwers hands, do not be discouraged. You can simply stand still, and perform the exercises until your comfortable and confident with hitting the ball back to the thrower’s hands, then get onto the next level.
I hope you enjoy what we are doing with Daily Soccer Skills. As hard as you are training on field, make sure you are maximizing your ability by your off field habits. Make sure to download a free 11 page ebook on 8 things you can to to become a better player in 24 hours here.
If you haven’t already, make sure you Subscribe on YouTube.
Ok folks, these drills aren’t going to do themselves. Get out there and train.